Sensitive Teeth and Gums and How to Stop the Pain
If you have sensitive teeth and gums, youâ€™re already familiar with the instant, radiating pain and discomfort that makes eating hot, cold, sweet, or acidic foods a chore instead of a pleasure. You may even suffer symptoms during routine dental care or when you breathe in cold winter air. Tooth sensitivity can arise from several causes, but it is a treatable condition that usually responds to conservative measures. If at-home treatments fail, don’t worry. Your dentist knows how to help sensitive teeth cope with menu challenges and toothbrush woes.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth and Gums?
- Tooth decay and gum disease can cause a breakdown of tooth enamel. Periodontitis also leads to infection with receding gums. Both can exacerbate the symptoms of sensitive teeth and gums.
- Teeth grinding during sleep can erode enamel over time and expose underlying dentin.
- A cracked or chipped tooth can expose dentin or become infected and cause nerve inflammation.
- Over-brushing or using hard-bristled toothbrushes can wear down tooth enamel and irritate gums.
- Age can contribute to tooth sensitivity.
- Using tooth-whitening products can irritate exposed roots and dentin.
- Some people experience temporary sensitivity after dental procedures.
5 Tips for How to Help Sensitive Teeth
- Brush and floss every day to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently.
- Choose an over-the-counter desensitizing toothpaste.
- Try a fluoride mouthwash.
- Avoid acidic beverages and foods such as wine, tea, citrus fruit, and tomatoes.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Frederick, call Dental One Associates of Frederick today at (301) 862-6783 orÂ make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Frederick. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Frederick, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Frederick.