Protect Yourself from the Dangerous Duo of Diabetes and Periodontal Disease
If youâ€™re diabetic, you need to know about the risk that this disease poses to dental health.
Whatâ€™s the Link Between Diabetes and Periodontal Disease?
According to dental experts, the main concern about diabetes and teeth is that diabetes can have a harmful effect on your dental health. See, having high blood sugar can put you at much greater risk for oral health issues. But taking care of your teeth and managing your blood sugar level can protect you from dental problems such as:
- The most serious form of gum disease, called periodontal disease
- Dry mouth, which can cause oral decay, infections, and ulcers
- An oral fungal infection called thrush
How Can You Protect Yourself from Problems with Diabetes and Teeth?
While this news about diabetes and periodontal disease can be rather alarming, there are ways that you can avoid any dental trouble. To prevent any problems with diabetes and oral health, use these expert tips to keep your smile healthy:
- Manage your blood sugar closely.
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristled toothbrush at least twice a day.
- Floss well on a daily basis.
- If you have dentures, make sure to remove and clean them each day.
- Avoid smoking.
- Get dental check-ups and cleanings every six months, but even more often if you suffer from diabetes and oral health problems.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Frederick, call Dental One Associates of Frederick today at (301) 862-6783 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Frederick. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Frederick, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Frederick.