Effectively Manage Your Oral Health
Brushing and flossing are habits taught at a very young age. Theses habits almost seem inherent, yet tooth decay and gum diseaseâ€”conditions that are preventable with basic dental careâ€”are rampant among a majority of the population. For many, the issue is not complete neglect of dental care, but a failure to complete the task thoroughly or frequently enough. Many people believe they can safely skip certain aspects of proper dental care and maintain optimal oral health. However, studies have revealed that improper brushing or even skipping daily flossing can lead to an increased risk of total body diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes. Learn just how important a complete dental care routine is to your health and how to effectively manage your oral health.
Defining Basic Dental Care
Basic dental care comes down to a few easy steps:
- Floss at least once daily to free bacteria and debris that often gets stuck in crevices between and around teeth, where your toothbrush canâ€™t reach.
- Brush at least twice daily, or after each meal, if possible. Brush for a minimum of two minutes, dividing the mouth in quadrants and thoroughly brushing each section thoroughly.
- Rinse with fluoride mouthwash at least once daily after brushing to further cleanse away bacteria and food debris.
- Consume a diet high in nutrient-rich fruits, vegetables and dairy products that promote oral health.
- Find an affordable dentist and schedule appointments every six months. Your dentist can clear plaque build-up that even the most diligent at-home dental care canâ€™t remove
Furthermore, your dentist can help you detect oral conditions in the earliest stages and ensure you receive proper treatment to protect your health.
The Importance of Basic Dental Care
- Fights cavities
- Protects gums and tissues surrounding the teeth that support facial structure
- Improves outcomes during each dentist visit, making visits quick and pleasant
- Oral health disease and conditions are costly; basic care saves your health and your money
- Prevents bad breath
- Removes stains caused by certain foods, drinks, and tobacco use
- Reduces risk of disease for the entire body
- Maintains a beautiful smile for a lifetime
Avoiding Dental Problems
- Brush twice daily or, if possible, after every meal. Within just 20 minutes of finishing a meal, bacteria and food debris can start causing damage.
- Avoid sugary and starchy foods, which feed the bacteria in the mouth that can erode the teeth.
- Avoid using tobacco products â€“ chewing and smoking tobacco can lead to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Clean your tongue with your toothbrush or a tongue scraper to minimize bad breath
- Visit your dentist every six months.
Getting back to the basics of oral health can give you an award-winning smile that will last a lifetime.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Frederick, call Dental One Associates of Frederick today at (301) 862-6783 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Frederick. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Frederick, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Frederick.Â